Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Voted

     Did my civic duty yesterday.

     The wife and I actually tried to vote early while I was off last week, but that would have meant voting at the courthouse. I didn't mind de-weaponizing myself as much as it was a parking issue for the wife.
     For a government building, their handicapped accessibility is minimal, and usually occupied by judges and staff.
     Seriously. I even stopped a police officer about it one time, and he said, "Oh, that's old judge So-and-So. He doesn't get around real well any more, so we let him park there." Said while looking at my wife in her wheelchair. Nice.
    
     Anyway, I went to vote after work at a nice church school gymnasium with about one hundred or more people, winding around in a long line toward a grand total of six voting machines.
     After the hour or so in line, people were leaping at the freshly vacated booths like seats on a ride at Disneyland.
     My turn came, and I employed my strategy: if there was a Libertarian on the ballot, I voted for them. The "R's" took precedence over the "D's", if that was my only choice, and any incumbent was out.
     My wife asked me, "Who did you vote for?"
     "I have no idea", and explained my strategy.
     "But that's not fair - you don't even know these people."
     "Honey, sometimes, it not about voting for people, or even against people. Each of these people has aligned themselves with a set of ideas, and I'm voting against some of these ideas."

     Of the people, by the people and for the people, and all that. But it's the ideas that are dangerous.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you won some of your votes yesterday. I'm sitting here on the couch watching FOX NEWS and listening to the POTUS trying to explain how he "thinks" the turn-out of election was because the people of the US felt like government is becoming too intrusive. I have a big smile on my face because in two more years, he's going to be looking for a new address.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. If he thinks this "shellacking" was bad, wait until we give the country an entire strip and refinish...

    ReplyDelete

Everyone is welcome here, until they prove themselves unwelcome.
Differences of opinion are encouraged, but please tell me why I'm wrong - who knows, I might learn something.
Insults, rudeness, and generally inappropriate behaviour will not be tolerated.
This is my house - act accordingly. Can't live with that? It's a big internet. Go play somewhere else.