Saturday, November 6, 2010

Zombie Overload

     I'm reading World War Z, have watched the first installment of "The Walking Dead", and just spent some quality time playing Left 4 Dead. Too much? Am I feeling scared? Paranoid?
     Actually the main thing I'm feeling is an obsessive urge to buy a Saiga 12 gauge. I always thought they were kind of neat before, but now they've just got "Zombie Gun" written all over them.

     A couple of notes regarding some of those other items: World War Z is pretty interesting so far. The detail and complexity of it is very impressive, and very absorbing. And if you haven't seen "The Walking Dead" yet, get in on it while you can at the beginning. This is easily the best cinematic representation of the zombie apocalype since, well, anything George Romero has ever done.
     To make things even more interesting, the zombie mythology, if you will, is very consistent between WWZ and Walking Dead, so you can immerse yourself in the "reality" of each.

     Right now, though, I think I'm going to take a break and go watch something a bit more lighthearted.
     Like Zombieland.

2 comments:

  1. Rick, I respectfully disagree. Shotgun's don't really make good zombie guns. The ammo is too heavy and bulky to carry enough to fight off the hordes. The real world, not movie magic, effective range for shotguns, even using buckshot, is somewhat limited unless you use slugs. New York reloads are about the only way to quickly re-ammo in a fight with a shotgun. The best zombie gun(s) is(are) (a) lightweight, smaller caliber, magazine fed semi-auto rifle(s).

    No. I've never spent anytime thinking about this. I didn't write a long winded post about it, and I didn't come to the conclusion that a Ruger 10/22 with several 50 round magazines was a great choice for a mid range zombie gun. Why do you ask?

    BTW, I saw the premier of Walking Dead and was suitably impressed as well. Hopefully, they can maintain the quality as the series progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm.
    I hadn't considered ammo weight. The last thing I need is to be the guy dragging along in last place during a "tactical retreat".
    I had the shotgun in mind for close-up "swarm" scenarios a la "Left 4 Dead". The Saiga is semi-auto and magazine-fed, but yeah, I can't see humping around enough ammo to do any good in a mobile situation.
    The 10/22 is actually a damn good idea, the more I think about it - I'll have to find your old post.
    I still think the Saiga is cool, though.

    As for "The Walking Dead", they've got enough plot material from the comic for this thing to run forever, but I hear that they're talking about a six-part miniseries for now.
    If the quality continues, like you say, then this is definitely going to be a future DVD purchase.

    ReplyDelete

Everyone is welcome here, until they prove themselves unwelcome.
Differences of opinion are encouraged, but please tell me why I'm wrong - who knows, I might learn something.
Insults, rudeness, and generally inappropriate behaviour will not be tolerated.
This is my house - act accordingly. Can't live with that? It's a big internet. Go play somewhere else.